Thick and rich rice soup.
Mastava (Rice soup) is a very popular dish in Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. Preparation is very easy and does not require many efforts. The German translation is a "Bauerntopf"- that means a dish of the farmer. You just throw all vegetables in one pot and let it cook. As I am for a healthy food style, I have changed the original recipe replacing and reduce some ingredients (fat, salt lamb meat, and oil)
- 2 small onions
- 1 carrot
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
- a cup of chickpeas (nut)
- 80 ml of olive oil
- 300gr beef
Warm 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped meat.
1. Fry meat until it is gold-brown
2. Cut onion and add to the meat to cook trough.
3. Use 2 tablespoons of Tomato Paste ( I prefer using peeled canned tomatoes in tomato juice. In this case make tomatoes puree.)
4. Add a tablespoon of Honey, potatoes, cheekpiece and carrots, cook, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened and the onions are turning translucent about 2 to 5 minutes.
5. Add 1,5 liter of water to cover, chickpeas, add the seasonal garlic, basil and cook for 75 min.
6. At the end of cooking time add rice, cover the lid, and cook for the next 10-15 minutes.
I add fresh seasonal herbs and some yogurt by serving. Watch a media file below and Goodluck!